It can happen to all of us. And it has probably happened to most of us. You trying to glue something with super glue, and just a small drop stayed on your fingers. Or on your hand. Or anywhere on your skin.
And you just cannot get it off. Well, super glue was designed to be a very strong adhesive in the first place. Super glue works by creating a bond that seals plastic, wood, rubber, and other substances in a matter of seconds. And doesn’t let go.
You can easily accidentally glue your fingers together, and get stuck fast. Well, the good news is that even if you get stuck fast, there is a way to fix it. Read on how to get super glue off skin. Do not panic, even if you glue your fingers, lips, eyelids, or any other skin area.
What is super glue?
As mentioned, super glue is an adhesive. And while it is not hot, it can still burn your skin. This is why you want super glue off your skin as fast as possible. The adhesive chemical in super glue creates a reaction when it comes in contact with cotton, from your clothes for example, and can cause a red and blistery burn.
It is important to keep super glue away from cotton clothing, tissues, and other materials that may create a burn. It is not advisable to try and pull apart skin that has been glued. The result might be a tear of the skin, and in rare cases, it can cause burns.
Do not worry, there is no lasting damage if you get super glue on your skin.
Top Home Remedies
Even though super glue is very strong adhesive, it is not totally impenetrable. There are a few home and natural solutions you can try for how to get super glue off skin. And while you can wait a few days for the glue to dissolve on its own, you are better off finding ways for how to get super glue off skin.
Peel it off
The first thing you can do is try to peel the super glue off. However, if you have sensitive skin, do not try this remedy. In many cases, peeling it off is just enough to remove the glue. This remedy works best when the glue is stuck to just one finger, not two fingers together.
- Wait until the glue dries into a thin solid
- Use clean fingernails or tweezers to grasp the dried glue at the edge
- Slowly peel it away from the skin
- If the glue resists or the peeling causes pain, stop it
Remember, never touch the glue while it is still sticky.
Water to the rescue help
Another option for how to get super glue off skin is to soak it. Warm and soapy water will loosen the glue from your hand, and you can then peel it off.
- Fill a bowl with warm water and add 1 tablespoon of mild soap
- Soak your glued skin for 30 to 60 seconds
- Now attempt to peel the softened glue away
You can try using a spatula or spoon handle over the area to lift the glue up. Some people succeed on the first try, others need more tries. If you like, you can try using lemon juice instead of just water. Mix lemon juice and water in equal ratio, and then soak your finger in.
For those with sensitive skin
As mentioned previously, if you have sensitive skin, you cannot peel it off. It might cause irritation to the skin. Therefore, you need something else.
One option for those with sensitive skin is to try mineral spirits. Soak the affected area in mineral spirits for one minute. After a minute or two, try to loosen the glue from your skin.
Another option is to try margarine. It will add a little grease, and it just might work. Rub margarine on the area until the glue can be peeled away in a gentle manner. Olive oil works in the same way, if you do not have margarine.
If you have tougher skin type, this method just might be the one you need. If you have sensitive skin, try something else. Acetone might cause irritating and drying on sensitive skin. Remember, never apply acetone to an open wound.
- Start by soaking the skin in warm soapy water as soon as you glue yourself. Add a dash of vinegar into the water
- Use an acetone-based nail polish remover. Bear in mind, the remover must contain acetone, as it will soften the glue. Rub the remover on the super glue, and you will notice it peels off soon enough
Wash your skin
You will be surprised how helpful laundry detergent can be. This ingredient is not just for washing your clothes. It can offer a helping hand in much more.
- Mix any liquid laundry detergent and hot water in equal ratio
- Rub and soak for 20 minutes to loosen up the thick band of glue
- Peel it off
Salt, a helping hand
It is a known fact that salt can help in so many things nowadays. No, we are not talking about consuming salt for health benefits. Salt is a wonderful do it all home remedy. You’ll need a paste made with salt and water.
- Add two tablespoons of salt in your hand
- Add water and turn the salt into a paste
- Rub the paste in your hand for 60 seconds, and then rinse a little off
- Keep rubbing without adding water. Repeat until the salt has dissipated, and the glue has lifted off too
Some people are adamant of using petroleum jelly. But if you have no troubles, jelly can be quite helpful around the home. Just massaging your skin with petroleum jelly will help you remove super glue. In addition, petroleum jelly will prevent skin damage.
- Add few drops of petroleum jelly in your hands
- Massage the affected area for a couple of minutes
- When you notice the super glue begins to come off, continue massaging for few more minutes
- Once you are done, wash your hands with soap and water to remove any excess jelly and glue
We mentioned previously that margarine and olive oil can add grease to the area and help you how to get super glue off skin. Well, any vegetable oil will work as well.
- Apply vegetable oil to a cloth or a paper towel
- Rub the affected area with the cloth
- Wait for few minutes, and the glue will come off of your skin
A highly and deep penetrating oil, WD-40 can also help remove super glue.
- Spray the oil onto a paper towel
- Hold the towel against the skin for few minutes
- Remove the towel and peel off the super glue
Most of us always have some hand lotion at arms reach. Well, it is time to put it into good use. Use it in the same way as petroleum jelly. Hand lotion will also help you restore moisture to your skin. For those with dry skin, hand lotion is the best option.