There are several factors to consider when choosing a drug rehab center. If you’re looking for a center on behalf of a loved one, it’s imperative that you have a game plan for convincing them to go to rehab. In some cases, they will be very resistant to the idea of getting help, in which case you may need the assistance of a professional drug interventionist.
But let’s say for the sake of this article that the individual is ready to attend treatment. Here are the most important factors to consider.
What Levels of Care Do They Offer?
There are several types of drug rehabs, including medical detox, inpatient rehab, partial hospitalization programs, intensive outpatient programs, and outpatient programs.
The type of drug rehab that will be most appropriate for you will depend on several factors, including the severity of your addiction, any co-occurring mental health conditions, your personal preferences, and your availability.
If you will experience moderate to severe physical withdrawal upon quitting your substance of choice, it’s strongly recommended that you first complete a medically supervised detox program.
If you have a severe addiction and have been unable to stop using on your own, an inpatient rehab program may be the best option for you. Inpatient rehab provides a structured, safe environment where you can focus on your recovery without the distractions and temptations of everyday life.
If your addiction is less severe, or you have a stable living situation and support system, an outpatient rehab program may be appropriate. Outpatient rehab allows you to continue to live at home and maintain responsibilities such as work or school while receiving treatment.
Partial hospitalization is a hybrid of the two, where the individual lives at home but receives treatment at the facility on a daily basis. This option is suitable for people who have completed an inpatient program and are not ready for an outpatient program or for people who have more severe addiction but cannot be in an inpatient program.
It’s important to keep in mind that everyone’s recovery journey is unique, and the type of rehab that worked well for someone else may not be the best fit for you. It’s recommended to speak with a professional in the field to guide you through the process and make the best decision for you.
Do They Offer Dual Diagnosis Treatment?
A dual diagnosis treatment center is a type of rehab center that specializes in treating individuals who have both a substance abuse disorder and a mental health disorder. These centers provide treatment for both conditions simultaneously, rather than treating them separately. This approach is known as integrated treatment, and it is based on the understanding that mental health disorders and substance abuse disorders often co-occur and that treating one disorder without addressing the other is less effective.
Dual diagnosis treatment centers typically provide a range of services including:
- Medically supervised detox
- Medication management
- Individual and group therapy
- Family therapy
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)
- Trauma-Informed therapy
- 12-step programs or alternative support groups
- Aftercare and transition support
It’s important to note that not all dual diagnosis treatment centers may have all of these services, and some may have additional services that are specific to their program. It’s always a good idea to research different options and compare services when choosing a dual-diagnosis treatment center.
What Amenities Do They Have?
Drug rehab centers may have a variety of amenities depending on the facility. Some common amenities may include:
- Comfortable and private bedrooms or shared rooms
- Meals and snacks
- Exercise and fitness equipment
- Recreational activities such as art or music therapy
- Library and computers with internet access
- Medically-supervised detox services
- Group and individual therapy sessions
- Family therapy and support groups
- Access to medical care and medication management
- Aftercare and transition support
- Yoga, meditation or mindfulness practices
- Pet therapy
It’s important to note that not all rehab centers may have all of these amenities, and some may have additional amenities that are specific to their program. It’s always a good idea to research different options and compare amenities when choosing a rehab center.
Some additional factors that are important to consider include:
- Accreditation: Look for a center that is accredited by a reputable organization such as the Joint Commission or the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF).
- Staff qualifications: The staff should be licensed and trained in addiction treatment, and the center should have a high staff-to-patient ratio.
- Location: Consider the location of the center and whether it is easily accessible to you or your loved one.
- Cost: Determine whether the center accepts your insurance or if they offer a sliding fee scale or other financial assistance options.
- Word of Mouth
Making The Right Decision
This article is a good starting point for finding the best treatment center. However, it’s important to research and compare different options, read reviews, and gather information from multiple sources before making a decision. SAMHSA’s treatment locator is a great resource for finding centers near you. It would be beneficial for you to visit the facility, speak with staff, and talk to current or former patients before making a decision. Additionally, it’s always a good idea to consult with a professional in the field of mental health or addiction to get personalized recommendations.